As we all know books are essential for the kids but how far are we willing to push it? How far before we start using the new technology which has been replacing physical books for the kids in school. There is absolutely no doubt that ebooks are more convenient and the device we read them on becomes an investment for life, but when exactly is the right time to hand over this technology to the kids.
Benefits of Ebooks :
1. Eco-friendly – The biggest advantage of reading ebooks and letting the kids use it is to know that no trees are being cut in order to publish more copies of that one book that you expect every kid in your class to read. There are innumerable copies that one can procure from the internet and share with his/her friends without worrying about the havoc it might create for the environment.
2. Cost effective – Every ebook format of literature is less than half the price, which means there will be savings all along. Just search the book you wish the students to read and download it or buy it in half the price. This will also help the kids in saving their parents hard earned money.
3. Tech-savvy – The kids get their knowledge, they get to use a new device which is fascinating and they become tech-savvy and smart while they’re at it. They will now know how to go about looking for a book which is not easily available in the market and they can get it instantly without having wasting their time.
4. Audio and multimedia – The best part about using ebooks is that they double as audio books so you have somebody to read it out to you and they have the multimedia feature so it helps you in envisioning what it would be like to be a part of the book.
Cons of ebooks in school :
1. Affordability – Not every student has the means to go buy a Kindle to be able to use ebooks and hence, it becomes something that is only used by kids who come from affluent families. Kids from regular schools with families who do not wish to spend extra might find it fascinating, but are unable to buy it which makes the financial gap wider.
2. Hard on the eyes – Kids are usually unaware of the posture they’re sitting in and what light they’re reading in, adding to that is the fact that they have to constantly stare at a screen to read an entire book which will have adverse effects in the years to come.
3. Piracy – Most of the ebooks can be downloaded directly from the internet without having to pay money, with that we just give our kids the option to choose piracy over the real material. It may be convenient but it is not the right thing to do.
Ebooks versus printed books – And facing the real competition, it is the harsh truth that ebooks fail in front of real books. Real book last forever, they do not give battery problems and they teach the kid what it is to be seriously reading off a book than just a device that looks fancy.
Given that books have been the backbone of mankind since time immemorial, ebooks have brought in a revolution. There is absolutely no denying that ebooks have taken the world by storm and with advancement in the technology, there are chances that they might start getting used full time. But we need to realize that for the kids, we still need to give priority to physical books. Physical books will not affect their eyes and will keep them focused on what they’re learning more than getting them fascinated with a new gadget which may or may not be affordable.
Image Courtesy : http://www.pervo.ru/uploads/posts/2015-03/1427197353_5.jpg